The pub history sites are moving to different servers, all with EUKhost.com
Search ME by surname, address or pub name
Portsmouth pubs history index
Portsmouth 1898 street directory - random streets
Portsmouth 1865 Harrods Traders directory A - C , D - G , H - M , N - S , T - W ; Portsea 1865 Harrods Traders A - B , C - E , F - H , J - M , N - R , S - T , U - Z ; Landport 1865 Harrods Traders A -B , C - D , E - G , H - J , K - M , N - Q , R - S , T - Y ; Southsea 1865 Harrods Traders A - B , C - E , F - H , I - L , M - P , Q - S , T - Y
Portsmouth 1875 Post Office Traders Directory A - C , D - G , H - M , N - S , T - W ; Portsea 1875 Post Office Traders Directory A - B , C - E ; F - H , J - M , N - R , S - T , U - Z ; Landport 1875 Post Office Traders Directory A - B , C - D , E - G , H - J, K - M , N - Q , R - S , T - Y ; Southsea 1875 Post Office Traders Directory A - B , C - E , F - H , I - L , M - P , Q - S , T - Y ;
The towns of Portsmouth, Portsea, Southsea, Landport,
and the suburbs, situate at the south-west point of the Hand of Portsea, 94
miles from London, form, with Portsmouth Harbour, and Gosport on the opposite
shore, the celebrated seaport called Portsmouth. The borough of Portsmouth
includes the towns of Portsmouth, Portsea, Southsea, Landport, and Kingston. The
borough of Portsmouth is divided into two parishes—Portsmouth being in the
parish of Portsmouth; and Portsea, Southsea, and Landport, in the parish of
Portsea. This great arsenal, the largest royal naval establishment and strongest
fortress in England, is a seaport, borough, market, railway, and union and post
town, in South Hampshire, Portsea Union, and Winchester bishopric, situated on a
fine bay in the English Channel, opposite to the Isle of Wight, 06 miles in a
direct line south-west of St. Paul's, London, 94 by railway, 26 south-east of
Southampton, 16 west of Chichester, and 27 south-east from Winchester. The
population of the united towns of Portsmouth and Gosport was, in 1841, 66,568;
and, in 1851, 70,510, exclusive of the suburbs in Alverstoke, and being a total
of about 85,000, independent of the war population.
The town of Portsmouth, In a parish of the same name, is in the form of a quadrangle, has an area of 110 acres, end is rather more than a mile in circumference; the streets are mostly narrow, but it Is well paved and lighted, and there are some substantial houses in the High street and on the Grand parade. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Winchester, value £655, in the patronage of Winchester College ; the Rev, John Poulett McGhie, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. William Frederick Hobson, M.A , is the curate. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket, is an ancient cruciform structure, founded by Richard Toclive, Bishop of Winchester; only a portion of the original structure now remains; the additions are of various later periods: it has a nave, chancel, aisles, and transepts, a tower at the western extremity, surmounted by a cupola, containing a musical peal of 8 bells. Portsmouth originated in the retreat of the sea from Porchester, a naval station established by the Romans, on the northern shore of Portsmouth harbour. Portsmouth was of importance in the time of Henry I.; it was a naval station in the reign of King John ; was fortified by Edward IV., Richard III., and Henry VII.; and it became the principal, if not the only, station for the Royal Navy in the reign of Henry VIII. In the time of the civil war the town was garrisoned for the Parliament. The fortifications of the towns of Portsmouth and Portsea are said to require a garrison of 14,000 men in case of a siege ; all the works are surrounded by moats, which are very wide and deep, and can be speedily filled with water from the sea.
The Island of Portsea, at the south-western extremity of which are the fortified towns of Portsmouth and Portsea, has also very strong defences; on the south is Southsea Castle, built by Henry VIII. to command the approach to Portsmouth Harbour; on the east is Cumberland Fort, to defend the entrance to Langston Harbour; on the north the entrance to the island is defended by lines along the channel, which divide the island from the main-land. The island is 3 miles long and 2 1/2 wide, and has 5,568 acres, or 9 square miles, and a population of 72,126. There are five barracks within the town of Portsmouth—the Cambridge, the Colewort, and the Clarence, for troops of the line; the barracks in Broad street, for the Royal Artillery; and for the Royal Marine Artillery, the barracks near the Custom House. Portsmouth Harbour is one of the most secure and capacious, sufficient to contain the whole navy of England; its entrance is narrower than the Thames at London Bridge, yet having sufficient depth of water for a man-of-war to enter at any time of tide. The defences are of almost an impregnable character, the coast on both sides being crowned with forts and batteries, armed with artillery of the heaviest calibre. The interior of the harbour expands into a spacious lake, 4 miles long and 2 miles wide, having good anchorage and sufficient depth of water, even at the lowest ebb, to float the largest ship in the British navy. A sand-bank, called the Spit, projects south-east from the western side of the harbour's mouth, about 3 miles; beyond it, indicated by buoys, and under shelter of the Isle of Wight, lies the well-known and safe roadstead of SPITHEAD. The port extends its jurisdiction from the town of Emsworth on the east to the entrance of the Southampton water on the west, and the roadstead of Spithead and the Bay of St. Helen's, between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight. There is steam communication with Plymouth and Havre, with Southampton several times during the day, and every hour to Ryde, Isle of Wight. Portsmouth was incorporated and erected Into a borough by Henry I., whose charter is in the Visitation-Book of Hampshire. The Reform Act enlarged the boundaries of the ancient borough, and the whole of the parishes of Portsmouth and Portsea are now included within the borough of Portsmouth. The enlarged borough is divided into six wards—St. Thomas, St. George, St. John, All Saints, St. Paul's, and St. Mary's; is governed by a mayor, 14 aldermen, and 42 councillors; it has a court of quarter sessions, recorder, and coroner; petty sessions are held every day within the town of Portsmouth, which is the seat of local government. Portsmouth returns two members to Parliament; the Right Hon. Sir Francis Thornhill Baring, Bart., and Lord Viscount Monk, are the representatives. Portsmouth is connected with the metropolis by the London, Brighton and South Coast, and the London and South Western Railways ; the two companies have a joint terminus at Landport.
PORTSEA, a fortified town in the parish of Portsea, and within the borough of Portsmouth, sprang entirely out of the rapid augmentation of the Government establishments during the American war. This place was formerly called Portsmouth Common, but in 1792, by an Act of Parliament, it assumed the appellation of the Town of Portsea. The Gun wharf, lying between Portsmouth and Portsea, is the grand depot for ordnance of every calibre, with their appropriate shot, which are piled in immense pyramids in the spacious square of 14 acres. The small armoury contains 25,000 stand of arms. The creek, which separates the two towns, is connected with the works by large deep dykes ; It is called the Millpond, in consequence of its waters being confined by a sluice, for the purpose of working the King's mill, situate at its mouth, on the Portsea side. The Dockyard, located in Portsea, is entered by a lofty gateway, having a small postern to the right, and great circumspection is exercised in the admission of strangers. Here are storehouses of every description requisite for the equipment of ships, a rope house, a copper foundry, and every other necessary establishment; 3,000 men are employed here, although the various operations are conducted by steam-engines, and every improved facility is machinery adopted. The stupendous works at the anchor-forge seem to realize the complicated honours of the Cyclopean cave. The Royal Naval College is within the Dockyard—a handsome building, consisting of a centre and wings. In one wing is deposited a very curious model of the "Victory," of 110 guns, built in this yard, and lost off the Race of Alderney, with 1,000 men on board. With it is incorporated a school for the study of naval architecture, and it contains an electric telegraph, communicating with the Admiralty in London. The great dock covers an area of 33,000 square yards, and contains a depth of water sufficient for the largest flrst-rates to lie close to the shore; it communicates with four dry docks. Convenient offices are appropriated both to the Ordnance and Engineer service. The Royal Dockyard has been much extended, and an immense steam basin has been added to the establishment ; it is 3,000 feet in length, and is the largest in the world. The Anglesea Barracks, a large, commodious, and handsome erection, for infantry, is situate close to the Lion Gate; considerable additions and alterations have been made in the fortifications. A new pier, called the Albert Pier, has been built; it Is situate on the Hard, and extending into Portsmouth Harbour; it is 1,200 feet long, a handsome structure, and of great convenience to the inhabitants. A new convict prison is near the Dockyard, to supersede the hulks. The parish church is in the hamlet of KINGSTON ; it has been rebuilt; in the churchyard is a monument in memory of Admiral Kempenfelt and his crew, who perished in the Royal George. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of Winchester College, of the annual value of £696, and enjoying the patronage of four chapels of ease—All Saints' £160, St. George's £45, St. Paul's £310, and Trinity £150. There is also the proprietary chapel of St. John, worth £141 a year, the interior of which is particularly elegant, and the new church of St. Jade, at Southsea. The populations of the ecclesiastical districts are—Portsea, 23,215; All Saints, 15,662; Milton, 1,320; St. John's, 6,607; St. Paul's, 15,227 ; and Trinity, 8,638. The Baptist chapel in Kent street, on the site of the old chapel, known as Meeting House Alley Chapel, founded in 1704, is a spacious and handsome building, in the Gothic style of architecture.
The island contains the villages of MILTON, 2 miles east, with an
ecclesiastical district of 1,320 inhabitants, FRATTON, BUCKLAND, COPNOR, and
KINGSTON. Fratton and Kingston form a long street, 1 1/2 miles long, leading
towards the mainland. Fratton was anciently called Froddington, and there was a
SALTERNS HORSEA, three-quarters of a mile long, and half a mile wide, lies to the north-west, and is a marsh island, with a few houses.
WHALEY, north of Portsea town, is a small island, quarter of a mile long, uninhabited until 1845. PEWIT ISLAND lies near Porchester. The soil is rich and highly cultivated, chiefly arable. The eastern shore abounds in water-fowl and a great variety of shells. Near HILSEA are the pleasant seats of GATCOMBE and STUBBINGTON LODGE. Bavins is 2 miles north-east; Tangier, 3 miles north-east; Staunshaw, 2 miles north; Eastnev, 2 1/2 miles east; Lumpe, 1 1/2 miles south-east; Croxton Town adjoins Portsmouth. The whole island constitutes a Union, for the purposes of the Poor Law Amendment Act, called the Portsea Island Union. A new Union-house of great size has been built.
In EASTNEY is the new cemetery of St. Michael, for Portsmouth; and in Copnore, the new cemetery for Portsea; these are in lieu of the ancient parochial graveyards, which are within the inhabited districts.
SOUTIISEA, another town or district in the parish of Portsea, and in the borough of Portsmouth, is of recent origin, and takes its name from Southsea Castle, built in the reign of Henry VIII. It is a beautiful watering-place. The beach is considered to be one of the best in England. Within the last few years it has been much improved by the erection of very many splendid houses and terraces suited to the wants of a superior class of visitors. Adjoining the beach is Southsea common, which is the property of the Government, and on which the troops of Portsmouth garrison are being constantly drilled and exercised. Close to the water's edge are the King's Rooms, used for soirees, promenades, assemblies, &c. Adjoining the rooms are warm, shower, vapour, and other baths. Ranging along the shore are a number of bathing-machines. A beautiful esplanade, near a mile in length, now skirts the margin of the shore, extending from Southsea Castle to the King's Rooms, near the entrance to which are two statues of Wellington and Nelson, the gift of Major General Lord Frederick Fitzclarence, G.C.H., Lieutenant Governor of Portsmouth. A handsome church has been erected, and was consecrated in 1851; it is in the Gothic style of the 14th century, with lofty tower and spire, and dedicated to St. Jude; the living is derived from pew rents, value about £360, in the patronage of Thomas E. Owen, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Richard Brownrigg, M.A.
LANDPORT is a place of modern date, and built in consequence of the great increase of population within the walls of the town of Portsea. The artizans of the Royal Dockyard mostly reside here ; the houses are for the most part small in size, but from the vast number of houses in course of erection, this place will soon become of importance. It was formerly called Halfway-Houses, but has now assumed the name of Landport. It is within the parish of Portsea and the borough of Portsmouth. The joint terminus of the London, Brighton and South Coast, and London and South Western railways, is situated here. The Royal Portsmouth, Portsea, and Gosport Hospital is at Mile End ; it is a handsome building. The foundation stone was laid by H.R.H. Prince Albert, Sept. 28, 1849. The land was given by the Board of Ordnance, and the building was raised by voluntary subscriptions. The Portsea and Alverstoke Unions, with a population of 89,034, were, in 1851.